1. HTS offers an established, time tested, proven full-day Kindergarten program with structured learning, cooperative activities and recess twice a day. Your child will master the skills of beginning reading, writing, addition and subtraction, participate in hands-on science activities, learn about other cultures and receive Catholic religious education.
2. HTS has a state of the art computer lab and technology program. Classrooms have iPads and Smart Boards, and technology is integrated into your child's daily curriculum. Your child will graduate with an above-average knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Google Docs, internet proficiency and safety, and simple computer programming.
3. HTS offers Spanish in all grades and Advanced Math in Grades 5-8. Our eighth graders graduate from HTS with such a strong proficiency that they often test into Spanish 2 in high school. Grade eight students taking Advanced Math follow an Algebra I course and typically test into Geometry or Algebra II in high school.
4. HTS students have daily religion class, and morals and values are incorporated across the curriculum. Your child will be fully prepared to receive the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and Holy Communion in second grade, so there is no need for religious education classes in the afternoon while your child is enrolled at HTS. In addition, students attend Mass on Holy Days of Obligation and participate in prayer services.
5. HTS students of all faiths are welcome. Our mission statement emphasizes Gospel values and Catholic social teaching. Students of other faiths compose 10% of our school community. Your family will be welcomed into a diverse school community that teaches respect for all cultures, ethnic groups, and faith backgrounds.
6. HTS students test in the top 15% in standardized testing scores. HTS has rigorous academic standards and curriculum that correspond to the high expectations set by the Office of Catholic Schools and exceed Common Core standards. Your child will attend the only elementary school in Wallingford accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
7. HTS graduating eighth graders have a 100% acceptance rate into private and Catholic high schools. Notre Dame, Xavier, Sacred Heart, Mercy, Lauralton Hall, St. Paul Catholic High School, Choate Rosemary Hall, Miss Porter's School, Hamden Hall Country Day School and Hopkins School are some of the prestigious schools that our graduates attend. Your child will be well prepared for high school.
8. HTS students enrich their academics with participation in the arts and athletics. Cadet and Advanced bands are led by Connecticut Future Musicians, and our students are well-represented in Regional and All-State Bands which perform at Central Connecticut State University and at Lincoln Center Plaza in New York City. HTS presents a full-scale large musical cast musical every other year. Competitive sports teams offered are Boys' and Girls' JV and Varsity basketball, co-ed soccer, baseball and softball. We believe in "Hustle-Teamwork-Spirit" and most importantly, good sportsmanship.
9. HTS students are actively involved in community service. "Faith in Action" is a voluntary community service club for students in Grades 5-8 who organize collections such as holiday food baskets for the needy, pet food and toys, socks, and hats and scarves for cancer patients. Your child will be able to reach our and actively help those in need.
10. HTS isn't just a school, it's a family. There are Family Fun events such as McDonald's Night, Family Bingo Night and Parent-Child Special Outings. Your family will be welcomed by Parent Ambassadors, and eighth graders act as Student Ambassadors to your child in their first few days at HTS.